The Scroll 6/6/14: Top Five Christian Articles of the Week



1. Reparations and the Church?
Ta-Nehisi Coates's recent article, 'The Case for Reparations' opens with scripture:
"And if thy brother, a Hebrew man, or a Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee. And when thou sendest him out free from thee, thou shalt not let him go away empty: thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the LORD thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him."
If you haven't yet, read Coates's treatise--much of what appears here builds on the groundwork he lays there. Coates argues for the importance of reparations in the United States, not just for the enslavement of millions of individuals, but for the legacy of profit from disparity that has been with us ever since...continue reading
2. Something's Wrong for Our Sisters
Rahiel Tesfamariam writes that black women act as if there is a war being waged against us. Yes, yes and more yes.
Tesfamariam recognizes that the U.S. still doesn't know how to deal with the "angry black woman," whether she's Solange in an elevator or a woman lamenting the life of her dead son. She goes on to say, "We wouldn't have to fight so hard if our minds, bodies and spirits weren't constantly in danger of harm or threat of misuse."...continue reading
3. Jesus Wasn’t A Slut-Shamer or How Conservative Theology Harms Black Women
I’m a feminist who believes in God. Raised Christian, I still attend church.  But what I am not is a person who will willingly check her brain, political convictions, or academic training at the door in order to enter the house of God or to participate in a community of faith. Express homophobic views, tell me that God requires me to let a man rule my house because I have a vagina, or spout a prosperity theology premised on the idea that poor folks are poor because they lack faith, and you are likely to see me get up and walk out...continue reading
 4.  Publishin'
So there has been a recent rise in discussions regarding authors of color and the world of publishing, particularly of Christian publishing. I have been extraordinarily hesitant in giving voice to my thoughts and concerns on this topic because-- you know--- ramifications. One day I want to be a published author, preferably with a Christian publishing house. So lending my voice to anything that would critique said body, just doesn't seem very wise. And yet, this is my voice, these are my thoughts, and I "attack" no specific house, group, or person. I only want to explore some of the ideas fueling the conversation. So basically, I'm doing this scared. Here we go. Well, here I go...continue reading
5. [Re] Defining Evangelicalism:
I, am an evangelical.
There, I said it.
Though, when I call myself evangelical, I do not mean it in the sense that I am this anti-science, homophobic, “God-fearing,” authoritarianistic conservative. I think we all know that this is not Christianity, nor is it representative of the Jesus who is the central figure of Christianity. When something is said to be “good news for all,” but the only people who preach it and believe in it are the only one’s who benefit from it, it’s safe to assume, it’s bullshit...continue reading
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment