The Scroll 6/27/14: Top Five Christian Articles of the Week


I have two daughters.
They are little spark plugs of utter joy and complete chaos. They make me laugh. They make me cry. They remind me to view the world through childlike wonder. They remind me that I am not what I do, but who I am. They teach me what selfless love actually looks like … every day … day after day … early morning after early morning … nasty crap diaper after nasty crap diaper. They make me realize how much I have to learn about parenting and our place in the world...continue reading
2.  How Can a Fallible Bible Be Inspired?
Over the past several months we’ve been doing a lot of deconstruction work with the Bible on my blog, discussing how an unquestioning reading of Scripture leads to a lot of hurt. It’s an important conversation to have, one motivated by compassion. Because we care about people, and because we love the Bible we need to confront a way of reading that justifies harm as wrong. Still, even so, it’s hard. It takes a toll because, even though we believe we are doing something good, it cuts away at our old beliefs in the process, and that means it cuts us.  After doing that kind of hard deconstructive work it can feel like there’s nothing left to stand on...continue reading
3. 4 Reasons I'm Not Going to Heaven
A few days ago somebody gave me a scrap of yellow paper with blue letters on it. Across the top it read: "Am I Going to Heaven? QUIZ!"
Not too long ago, I was the one carrying those papers, handing them to strangers in hopes of altering their eternal destination. So I recognized all the Bible verses, the step-by-step, point-by-point sales pitch. But now, I have no interest in buying what they're selling.
If this is the way to Heaven, I'm not going. Here's why:..continue reading
4. Five reasons to love Sojourners’ 'Summit for Change'
Last week I was in Washington, D.C., for the inaugural Summit for Change, created by Sojourners, to which, incidentally, you really ought to subscribe if you are a person of faith (or even if you’re not) who cares about social justice. - See more at: http://rachelmariestone.religionnews.com/2014/06/24/five-reasons-love-sojourners-summit-change/#sthash.UPGpiGmA.dpuf
Five reasons to love Sojourners’ ‘Summit for Change’ - See more at: http://rachelmariestone.religionnews.com/2014/06/24/five-reasons-love-sojourners-summit-change/#sthash.UPGpiGmA.dpuf

 Last week I was in Washington, D.C., for the inaugural Summit for Change, created by Sojourners, to which, incidentally, you really ought to subscribe if you are a person of faith (or even if you’re not) who cares about social justice...continue reading
5. The Forgotten Story of the Freedom Schools
Young people named it the Freedom Summer Project. It was the largest campaign to register voters—in 1964, an election year—and it was the most significant demonstration of African Americans’ political strength in the Civil Rights Movement. Congressman John Lewis, then chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), wrote that the objective of Freedom Summer was to “force a showdown between the local and federal government.” One significant yet overlooked part of this history is the way activists moved beyond the ballot box to politicize the right to an education...continue reading

Over the past several months we’ve been doing a lot of deconstruction work with the Bible on my blog, discussing how an unquestioning reading of Scripture leads to a lot of hurt. It’s an important conversation to have, one motivated by compassion. Because we care about people, and because we love the Bible we need to confront a way of reading that justifies harm as wrong. Still, even so, it’s hard. It takes a toll because, even though we believe we are doing something good, it cuts away at our old beliefs in the process, and that means it cuts us.  After doing that kind of hard deconstructive work it can feel like there’s nothing left to stand on. - See more at: http://www.redletterchristians.org/can-fallible-bible-inspired/#sthash.D1z8iyk8.dpuf
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment