The Scroll 5/30/14: Top Five Christian Articles of the Week


1. For Maya
I was a vorascous reader. I loved anything written by Judy Blume. The Babysitters Club, the Boxcar Children, and the silly Amelia Bedelia had my loyalty. I was always on my best behavior when we went to library (yes, it was an event, not a class). I wanted to be the first chosen so I could grab any new books our librarian bought. I was so in love with books, my father knew never to send me to my room for punishment. I would happily read for hours longer than my punishment required...continue reading
 2. The Real Origins of the Religious Right
One of the most durable myths in recent history is that the religious right, the coalition of conservative evangelicals and fundamentalists, emerged as a political movement in response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling legalizing abortion. The tale goes something like this: Evangelicals, who had been politically quiescent for decades, were so morally outraged by Roe that they resolved to organize in order to overturn it...continue reading
3. 15 Things You Need To Stop Doing… Right Now!
We live in a world of to-do lists, goals and New Years Resolutions. Everyone is looking forward to starting something, going to the gym, starting the conversation, starting the journey… Instead of focusing so much energy and attention on what you need to start, you should try a different approach. How about focusing on the things you need to stop and awesome life results will be the natural by-product...continue reading
4. 3 Avenues To A Richer, More Vibrant Worship
My brother is an athlete.
I don’t use that term lightly, either. When he is not competing on a sports team, he is watching it. When he is not watching it, he is working on his fantasy league. When he is not working on his fantasy league, he is hitting the gym. The guy is nearly six feet tall and looks like he has been cut from granite. Needless to say, this is all a far cry from his bookworm brother, the writer/theologian currently sitting behind the keyboard punching these words out...continue reading
5. More Guns, More Shootings?
Recently, Richard Martinez, father of a student who was killed in Elliot Rodgers's rampage in Santa Barbara, California, lashed out at politicians, "I don't care about your sympathy. I don't give a s--- that you feel sorry for me…. Get to work and do something. I'll tell the president the same thing if he calls me. Getting a call from a politician doesn't impress me." ...continue reading

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment