Life Is Tough...So Is God by Brandon Herring

Life is hard. No matter who you are at some point in time you have felt this overwhelming feeling. For many of us it centers on money or family or life decisions or all of those and more. Interestingly enough no one seems to be able to escape this feeling. Not even the rich and famous are immune; in fact in some ways maybe it takes an even greater toll on them. How often do we see troubled celebrities, people that we just wish we had half of what they have or could be half as famous as they are? How often are we baffled when we hear that our favorite celebrity, that we love and envy, has been admitted to rehab or even worse committed suicide? Life undoubtedly has its challenges and they always seem to hit at just the worse time and in the worse way possible.

The interesting thing is everyone’s life hardships are different and it’s not really fair to condemn anyone for not having challenges that are as bad as others. This thing called life comes in many shapes and sizes. A person who can’t afford to pay their car note this month because they lost their job and now may lose their transportation to a new job has the right to worry just as much as a mom who has 4 children in a small village in some third world country and can’t provide them with the food or shelter they need. 
Now of course, we can all agree that some hardships are definitely worse than others in the grand scheme of things. At the end of the day the person who can’t pay his car note probably still has food to eat and a roof over his head for a little while and has a decent chance of finding another job that will restore his way of life or maybe family that is in a decent enough situation to help. Whereas, the mother who can’t supply for her children is probably surrounded by poverty with no real or imaginable way out. 

All this helps me put things into perspective as it relates to my life and the hardships I come across. Many people wonder why I am always so upbeat, happy, or nonchalant and it’s because I live by the saying, "It could always be worse". I didn't make it up and I'm sure you have heard it before but  I do a pretty good job of putting it to use. In fact the bible speaks to this in Matthew 6:27-29 NLT, "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are." The thing is, this saying only works for me because of my strong faith in Jesus Christ and the lord above. 

I realize how truly blessed I am everyday compared to others in this world. I didn’t do anything extra to deserve not to be born in a third world country or to have two loving parents. I don't deserve 99% of the good fortune I have any more than the next person, but God blessed me with it. So how dare I take it for granted or fail to put things into perspective when things get rough. My other saying is, "My worst day is 10 times better than some people’s best day." How can I possibly let a rough day get me down when I say that out loud??? The bible speaks to this in Philippians 4:11-12 ESV, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need." 

Staying positive and hopeful because you know you dwell in God’s grace is an amazing feeling and I believe it perpetuates. Worrying and being negative only takes a greater toll on the human body. Proverbs 17:22 ESV states, "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." My dad instilled in me the value of not wasting time worrying about things because God has blessed me with the talent and strength to do anything and overcome anything. I leave you with this, when times get hard believe harder, stay positive, and move forward with God. 
Romans 15:13 ESV, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad I came across this blog. Puts things in a new perspective for me. I feel like I needed to hear that-so I read it out loud

    ReplyDelete