The Scroll 4/18/14: Top Five Christian Articles of the Week


1. The Impossible
He rode into town on a donkey to shouts of praise. Hosanna! Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the King of Israel. Palms wave in the air and scatter the road as he clunks along. This is no powerful steed, so the entrance is slow and the praise long. "Hosanna! Save us," the crowd cries. They are desperate to be freed, desperate to become a nation unto themselves, freed -no- saved from the tyranny of the Romans. Surely this is the new David, the promised one. After all, he has already done the impossible. He raised a man from the dead. Everyone heard. Surely this is the new king. With disdain the Pharisees watch the growing fervor of the crowd. Shaking their heads, they throw shade at Jesus, "Look how the whole world has gone after him!"...continue reading
2. Black Rage Is Christian Rage
Six years ago, as a 17-year-old senior in high school in Fort Worth, Texas, I was horrified to wake up to this news story: Silk Littlejohn and Broderick Gamble, a betrothed couple in a city next to mine, had purchased a home together, but then, out on a walk, the couple was approached by a 66-year-old neighbor, Grace Head, who proceeded to beat Ms. Littlejohn with a 2-by-4 piece of wood. After Ms. Littlejohn was released from the hospital, she and her fiancée found the words "KILL, DIE, NIGGER" on their unfinished garage door. Mr. Gamble and Ms. Littlejohn were, understandably, upset, confused, and outraged...continue reading
For my previous thoughts on #CancelColbert, see “men at work: how sexism operates.”
Very briefly. Last post on the #CancelColbert stuff. I just wanted to go on record with this. Recently, a progressive blogger posted a “Mission Accomplished” blogpost celebrating how Stephen Colbert had become victorious over the anti-racist slacktivists who “wanted” his show cancelled. Not only does the author in question get everything about the campaign wrong unlike my friend Jason, but he also managed to show just how much he valued cultural ignorance over cultural intelligence.
- See more at: http://politicaljesus.com/2014/04/14/when-progressives-revel-in-cultural-ignorance-cancelcolbert/#sthash.mD4XqWkw.dpuf
when progressives revel in cultural ignorance #CancelColbert - See more at: http://politicaljesus.com/2014/04/14/when-progressives-revel-in-cultural-ignorance-cancelcolbert/#sthash.mD4XqWkw.dpuf
when progressives revel in cultural ignorance #CancelColbert - See more at: http://politicaljesus.com/2014/04/14/when-progressives-revel-in-cultural-ignorance-cancelcolbert/#sthash.mD4XqWkw.dpuf

3. when progressives revel in cultural ignorance #CancelColbert
For my previous thoughts on #CancelColbert, see “men at work: how sexism operates.”
Very briefly. Last post on the #CancelColbert stuff. I just wanted to go on record with this. Recently, a progressive blogger posted a “Mission Accomplished” blogpost celebrating how Stephen Colbert had become victorious over the anti-racist slacktivists who “wanted” his show cancelled. Not only does the author in question get everything about the campaign wrong unlike my friend Jason, but he also managed to show just how much he valued cultural ignorance over cultural intelligence...continue reading
4. 3 little words. 1 big impact.
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Matthew 25:35-36...continue reading
5.  Messiahs, "Success," and the Way of Jesus: A Palm Sunday Sermon
That’s the message I hear when I listen closely to the world around me. Success is celebrated; failure is mocked. Success means: you matter; failure means: you don’t... continue reading 
That’s the message I hear when I listen closely to the world around me. Success is celebrated; failure is mocked. Success means: you matter; failure means: you don’t. - See more at: http://theologicalgraffiti.com/Messiahs-Success-and-the-Way-of-Jesus-Palm-Sunday-Sermon#sthash.AsWJMgeo.dpuf
Messiahs, "Success," and the Way of Jesus: A Palm Sunday Sermon - See more at: http://theologicalgraffiti.com/Messiahs-Success-and-the-Way-of-Jesus-Palm-Sunday-Sermon#sthash.AsWJMgeo.dpuf
Messiahs, "Success," and the Way of Jesus: A Palm Sunday Sermon - See more at: http://theologicalgraffiti.com/Messiahs-Success-and-the-Way-of-Jesus-Palm-Sunday-Sermon#sthash.AsWJMgeo.dpuf

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment