Don't Babysit Your Blessings

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:4 ESV)
Since God made His covenant with Abraham and promised to bless his descendants it has been revealed that our blessings were never intended to only bless us individually. It is not only out of generosity and kindness that we should bless others, but out of obedience to the commandment to love our neighbors. 

I am astonished by the individual nature of our society in America. It seriously perplexes me. Can we still even call it a society? We live in communities, but are we collaborative, cooperative, or embracive? We have social networks that have made us socially awkward. 

Perhaps this is not the place for a critique of society. It may be besides the point. 

There has been numerous times in my life when the blessings I receive from God overwhelm me. There is a sense of not being deserving of the them (in fact I know I don't deserve anything). That sense has created the urge to better understand why, even when I veer off the path of righteousness, do I still receive an abundance of blessings. The only answer I have found is that it is because I am meant to share my blessings with others (to whom much is given, much is required). Blessings are meant to flow through us. A blessing may be meant for you specifically, but it is not meant to end with you. 

The first Psalm proclaims that the blessed person is like a tree planted by water that bears fruit and whose leaves do not wither. In all that the blessed person does, that person prospers. As Christians we are set out to be fruitful. What good is a tree that bears no fruit and whose leaves wither? What good comes to the world if we only prosper ourselves? 

The concept of blessings flowing through us is very similar to "pay it forward." We should look to bless others because there is no way we can bless our original benefactor. Although a reward for this behavior should not be our intention, there is one promised. Luke 6:35a states:
"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great..."
I challenge you. Next time you receive a blessing, whether it be spiritual or physical, think about how you can use that blessing to benefit someone other than yourself.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment